Mayor Mike McGinn delivered his 2013-2014 Proposed Budget on Monday afternoon, which includes necessary support for bicycling.
Highlights in the budget include:
- critical funding for required planning to help complete the Missing Link of the Burke-Gilman trail;
- an extra $1,256,000 over two years to plan and build neighborhood greenways that make it safe for our kids to walk and bike to school;
- funds to build a protected bikeway cycletrack along a segment of 7th Ave downtown and plan for an extension of the route;
- $150,000 to create a plan for world-class bikeways downtown;
- a study to examine building a bicycle-pedestrian-transit bridge across the Ship Canal between Ballard and Fremont; and
- $10 million over two years to repave city streets, making them safer for everyone.
These are exactly the kind of investments we need to make if we want Seattle to become a city where everyone has the freedom to safely bike to get where they need to go because our city is connected with a world-class network of bikeways.